The response was so enthusiastic that the Web site, which is operated by Bell Canada, crashed. And while people who managed to register their telephone numbers should be pleased, it does not mean the end of telemarketers calling you.
This is because the exemption list seems to be a mile wide and a mile deep. It includes:
- Canadian registered charities;
– Political parties, riding associations and candidates; and
- Newspapers of general circulation for the purpose of soliciting subscriptions.
You’ll also continue to get calls from organizations that you have a relationship. This includes companies that you have:
- Purchased, leased, or rented a product or service in the last eighteen (18) months from the telemarketer;
- You have a written contract with the telemarketer for a service that is still in effect or expired within the last eighteen (18) months; and/or
- You asked a telemarketer about a product or service within the last six (6) months.
And, there’s more. Telemarketers can still call you if they have:
- Your permission on a written form, electronic form, or an online form; or
- Your verbal permission.
So, if you think that eating dinner will involve fewer interruptions, guess again!